Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Blame it On Bookfool...

oh yes it has happened again fellow reader. I have been tagged, dragged and forced to enter into yet another challenge. What does this mean for you?

a) I get to come up with more creative ways of cheating without telling anyone on the www

b) you get to hear me bitch and whine. It's what I do best anyways.

c) Hear great stories about how this crazy bibliophile drowned by the pile of books by her bed while sleeping as she knocked over the pile from tossing and turning that night due to the nightmares the untold amounts of stress brought upon her. Makes a great Nora Roberts you'd have to admit!

My Chunkster Challenge

So I really want to read all of these because I have owned them for a gazillion years I swear. But for this challenge I will pick 3. I promise Book fool that I will try my best to get through them all. But it will mean cutting out everything good in my life - sex, drugs in the form of caffeine, and commenting on your blog!! We wouldn't want that to happen now would we??

For Once in no particular order:

(1) Tale Of Genji by Murasaki
1120 pages, tini tiny print, tradepaper edition
Me, the grad from Jap Language & Lit has not read this book - what is known to be the first novel in the history of man - yet. The horror and shame Bookfool... you cannnot imagine.

(2) Moby Dick: Or, the Whale by Herman Melville
726 pages, Normal size print, hardcover edition
I saw this book for 12$ hard cover, new and calling my name saying what a bad person I was for ignoring them. What could I do?

(3) A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin
684 pages, smallish print, hardcover edition
The fourth in the series but I am having trouble getting through it. I am not even 100 pages into it but because my favorite characters are not coming up anytime soon... what can I say? I plede guilty your honour. Guilty.

(4) Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
782 Pages, Normal size print, tradeback edition
Amazing is it not how I could still have not read this book. Amazing enough that I could go live in a cave right now. Right now I said.

(5)Suitable Boy a Volume I & II by Vikram Seth
1474 pages, tiny print, trade back edition
A colleague of mine said I had to read this book and if I do during this challenge Bookfool let me tell you something - I deserve a fuckin' halo! Seriously!

(6)The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
560 pages, Normal size print, Hardcover edition
Another must read. ANother haven't yet. I am so happy my mom is not here to read this.

(7) The Three Musketeers by A. Dumas
565 pages, tiny print, trade paper edition
Oh Yeah baby. I am so a Count of Monte... fan so this is definitly high high up there!

(8) Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, Book 1) by Steven Erikson
492 Pages, Small print, Hardcover edition
Someone recommended this to me and have no dought that will love it though never as much as Jordan.

(9) Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres
625 pages, Normal Size print; Hardcover edition
Some Bitch said that she loved this book and I had already bought it. Everytime I see it I fantize of ways to torture her slowly. Point is, I have a bias against the book that am going to try and have to get over. Somehow.

(10) Carnevale by M R Lovrie
634 pages; medium size print, trade edition
I was saving this for alone time. You know - no male around to fool around this. I am told that this is Marquis de Sade competition people!

Thats it folks... for now. Let me get back to Austen's Mansfield Park. Yes it has been a week I have been reading it. Yes, I will be making a mega Austen post here that will be so long all my other posts will be stored in cyberspace whatever. Hope you all are doing your homework and cleaning your teeth like good citizens should. Over & Out.

24 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you'll be drowning under your books just like I'll be. Is there a better place to be? I don't think so. :-) There's several on your list I want to read. Someday.

My husband says you'll have to wait for the next book in Martin's series if you want to read about your favorite characters. I'm not sure what that means having never read the series myself. I want to though. I've heard great things about it!

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell--I liked that one (hubby loved it).

Booklogged said...

Nessie, when Nora Roberts writes that great book about the heroine being killed by the stack of books on her bedside table, I'll be the first to buy it.

We don't have any books in common on our chunksters list, although I would like to read several you've mentioned. I can pass on Moby Dick, though.

nessie said...

Hahaha too many chunksters out there. Dam. Here I thought could get them all done this life time.

wow~! You think a publisher would buy my idea if they come and read this? Know any one?

tanabata said...

I tried reading The Tale of Genji earlier this year. Got a couple of hundred pages in but my mood wasn't right and I put it aside. I thought about it for the Chunkster Challenge but I'm not quite ready to try again. Someday though. I'm determined.

nessie said...

Thats it you know with chunksters that I LIKE... u can easily - and with little guilt - put them aside and years later pick it up again. The story was so detailed that soon everything comes back when you read it again! I have been reading Don Quixote for a decade now. Am on page 200 about.

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Wow, good luck with all those!
You're brave!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm being such a slacker as I only listed one book on my chunkster challenge! Oh well, I'll add a bonus book but that's it :)

And, yes, please stop the challenges people because I want to join them all. ha,ha...

Lisa said...

Let me know how you get on with Jonathan Strange. I've tried to read it three times and never gotten more than 50 pages into it. It's one of those guilt producing books that I feel I SHOULD read, but really don't want to!!!

Lotus Reads said...

Whoa, that's an impressive list for sure! I have "Tales of a Genji" but man, I just haven't been able to crack its spine (yet) so I look forward to reading what you have to say about it. "A Suitable Boy" is another one I haven't been able to conquer, but I will some day! :)

Happy Reading, Nessie, I look forward to seeing which three books you pick in the end!

Bellezza said...

Nessie, Bellezza here. I'm glad I got to a place where I can leave you a comment; I must've been on the wrong blog before because I couldn't find posts written by you specifically. Nevermind...I just want to say it's nice to visit you. I read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and I need to post on it. I don't want to influence you in that book, so we can talk when you're done. Also, I thought The Corrections was a fascinating look at our culture (dysfunctional families) today. I'll look forward to visiting you again.

nessie said...

Oh, we will definitly talk Meredith. I love that name by the way. Do you watch Gray's Atatomy?

Can't wait to read Corrections now. My family is definitly deliquant/dysfuctional. What can you do?

The other blog was probably the brainwashcafe blog. Thats where us crazy nuts at the cafe I own get to post all this wierd wierd stuff. Lisa corrects and posts everything there because she gets mad at how unreadable I am.

nessie said...

Hahaha your not the first to say that. Often I will tell a joke and people laugh at me cause I am laughing so hard. Alas ~ story of my life.

SuziQoregon said...

Great list - glad to see another person planning on The Three Musketeers - I've got that one scheduled sometime in Feb because it's for both the Chunkster and Classics challenges.

Bellezza said...

That's what it was: Brainwash cafe. So I'm NOT losing my mind...I'm glad I found this one, though, so I can respond to you directly. (I liked when you said something about your Grandmother and Bella, on my blog.)

hellomelissa said...

oh, i'm so tempted to do this challenge, but seeing as how i can't even finish my current challenge, i think it best that i skip it. "a suitable boy" is on my tbr shelf also! so tempting! i'd add "you can't go home again" by thomas wolfe, and "drums of autumn" by diana gabaldon, and maybe "atlas shrugged" by ayn rand.

if, that is, i was doing the challenge. *sheepish grin*

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and I love it. All of the books showing in your "Random books from my library" thingy at the moment are by some of my favorite authors. I love it that there's even a random Wheel of Time book mixed in! Oh, btw... What's the red stuff on that guy's face that he's shaving off (in the awful covers?)

nessie said...

I have no clue what the red stuff is sara but hell! I have spent many a night contemplating the answer to that same question.

melissa, just do the challenge. they don't ask for our right hand if we don't finish. Bookfool seems like an ultra cool person. For me I really really DONT want to read Atlas Shrugged ... can't tell you why other than that I am a libra and we judge books by the covers by golly! Drums of Autumn is the last good book in the series *sob*.

Oh yeah Sara... Wheel of Time. I am naming all of my children - as of yet unborn - after the characters in the book. they will always be in my library.

belleza sorry about that. Brainwash has a tendency of making people go a little crazy in the head. You should see the cafe!!!

Dumas is God!! Suzi! God I say!

Bellezza said...

Nessie, I just read your comment above about Atlas Shrugged which is one of my all time, most favorite, best loved books. Seriously, I've read it at least three times, and I think you should give it a go. If it proves to lengthy, try The Fountainhead first, which is similar in theory and shorter.

nessie said...

Ok Ok how can I say no to that!! Ouch! I am soo sorry. I hate people who hate Jordan so I understand if there be any wrath coming towards me. Will buy it now - if anything out of guilt! ;)

Kucki68 said...

Hi,

I want to read Moby Dick in January or February as this is one of my classics as well as one of my chunksters.

Regards,

Karin

nessie said...

Note taken Karen. Will stop by when am in te midst so we can maybe help each other out? maybe read alternate chapters?

Isabella K said...

10 books?!! You do deserve a fucking halo. I loved Three Musketeers — how could anyone not? Good luck.

nessie said...

I need it for sure. I have the piles of books for each challenge piled in front of my bed just so that I can be mentally prepared. Yeah, I am SCARED. These book challenge people are making me feel the pressure.

And IF I complete it, well then I may have to have Bookfool go and get me a halo. Next Christmas? ;)

Aarti said...

Wow, what a list! I actually just finished reading Gardens of the Moon, and am now reading Deadhouse Gates. In my opinion, the book is really overwhelming at first, but the second half really heats up. I hear it's the hardest book in the series, and then they get really, really good :-) Let me know what you think!